Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My first decade: 1970's

Since I started blogging in my mid 40's, I realize I may need to catch you up on a few years.  Ok, more than several years....before I go too much farther into my youth diary; however, I must admt that my memory is not very good.  So, I can only tell you how I remember things.   Whether they are factual or not, they are my memories.  

I suppose I could start with when I was born, but I think I need to provide a little information about my parents first.

My Dad had planned to be a Priest, and my Mom, a Nun.  They met while working for the same Catholic Publication company.  GOD had a slightly different calling for their lives.  They got married and had six children!   


I was born in the spring of 1968.  My mom had four boys between 1960 and the fall of 1966, and 17 months later, I was born.   The first girl after four boys!  My sister was born three years later.  

I loved growing up in a small town.  I either rode my bike or walked, and I don't really remember having any boundaries, as long as I was home moments after the street lights came on.  Back in the 1970's, kids were outside climbing trees, and exploring the woods and railroad tracks.  My brothers really didn't like me tagging along, but they always said as long as I could keep up, I was welcome to follow them.  You can imagine, I was quite the "tom boy". 

We were a tight knit family.  Eight family members shared one television, as well as one bathroom!  Needlesstosay, there was not much privacy, if you know what I mean!

Looking back, I would say we were poor, but I didn't really know it.  My Dad worked hard to send us to private school.  I suppose that is why we only had one vehicle.  I guess I never really thought about it before now, but even though you could get to my school in five minutes in a car, it took more than an hour and half on the bus, not because of the many stops, but because of the infrequent stops between towns.    Most of the kids in my neighborhood attended the public school, so the Catholic school kids lived all over and in neighboring towns.  My school was small and only had one bus, so you can imagine the miles I traveled each morning and afternoon!  I don't know if my older brothers would remember it the same way, but this is how I remember it.  My bus driver was a crazy driver and rarely drove the speed limit and had no regard to railroad tracks or pot holes!  

I really don't remember a lot about my childhood, and I asked my mom to help me remember.  She told me she doesn't remember it either, because she was too busy dealing with my brothers.  She tells me I was a good kid and she didn't have to worry about me.  I do know that I spent many weekends and most of my summer days at the pool, or at a neighbors house.  There was family that lived on a street behind me with two girls my age.  I think I lived with them!  I remember ringing their door early in the mornings, and running home to eat a pbj sandwich, and going right back over until dinner!  

I do remember being very active, playing kickball in the street, running through the mosquitto spray truck getting lost in the "fog of chemical", and having no care in the world!  I never was a Girl Scout, or involved with extra curiculur activies but I do remember being a happy child!  

I can remember a little more from the 1980's, so if you are interested, you can learn more in my next post.  













No comments:

Post a Comment