Tuesday, November 6, 2012

My second decade: 1980's

I was 12 years old in 1980.
I started babysitting at the age of 12.  My first babysitting job was a neighbor infant.  I sure am glad I was only a house away from my own mom, because when that diaper exploded...let's just say the memory will be forever marked in my brain!

I loved babysitting; in fact, I know GOD was preparing me for a calling.  It is why I am a preschool teacher today!  I had a standing babysitting position for several years.  Every Friday and Saturday night, I would trade sitting for two families.  I think I only "messed up" once.  The story is too funny not to share...

Believe it or not, I was instructed to give the child a suppository!  I was 13 years old at the time, and I was proud of how mature I handled the request.  "No problem, what time would you like for me to give it to him?"  I said.  I thought it was a pill to be chewed, and the child did what I asked him to do with it. Of course he spit it out, but I was smarter than him, so I tricked him and put it in a piece of bread.  When the parents returned home, as usual, the children were sleeping peacefully.  I had a knack for getting them to sleep....I wore them out!  The mother asked if I had any problems with giving the suppository, and I proudly told her about my trick to get him to swallow it.  She gasped!  Luckily, nothing happened and the child slept fine and I was forgiven.  I was 13 years old, for Pete's sake!

I really was a great babysitter, and I cared deeply for the kids.  I watched out for them, and sometimes took them to the park or skating rink on my days off.

I finally discovered boys around the age of 15.   I had been spending a lot of time at the pool, and since you
you don't wear glasses when you swim, I suppose I started looking more attractive.  My dad was very strict, and he made a rule that I was not allowed to date until I was 17, and even then I had to double date.  There was no rule about kissing though, and I remember it like it was yesterday!  I doubt it was his first kiss, but I do hope he remembers kissing me.  It sure will always be very special to me!

The summer I turned 16, I got a job working as a "copy girl" at a large manufacturing company in the city.  It was a 45 minute drive, and I didn't own a car, so I carpooled.  My mom would take me to the carpool lot at 6 am,  I worked 7:30-4:00, and on good days with low traffic, I would get home by 5.  I was very glad to have money.  I spent ever dime I made too.  I grew up poor, remember, so it was great to finally be able to dress and "fit in".   I realized how much more attractive I was without my glasses too, so I stopped wearing them all together!  

My first official "date" was one my father had to approve of.  He persuaded my brother to ask one of his friends to take me to a school dance.  Lucky for me, I was in love with just about everyone of my brother's best friends, so I was just peachy with that news!

My first true love was at the age of 17.  My high school sweetheart broke my heart.  I was so in love, I thought I would marry him someday!  I am certain I am not the only woman who thought she would marry her first true love.

I graduated from high school in 1986.  I dated many more boys over the course of the next three years, but fell in love again in 1989.  And of course, I assumed I would marry him.  My college sweetheart broke my heart too.  It took two years to get over that one!

The next decade is when I met my REAL true love...you can read about that in my next post. 































1 comment:

  1. I laughed at his post until I cried. Then I read it to John and he laughed so hard!! This is great.

    ReplyDelete