Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Power of Prayer

I was tapped on the shoulder today in the lobby at church.  I turned to see who it was....it was Johnny!

My 18 year old son has been living with my brother and his family in the city.  He is attending a community college near their home.  I will be forever grateful to my brother and sister in law for taking Johnny under their wing.   Johnny had been walking a path of destruction and we were forced to kick him out of the house this summer.  

It all started two years ago when he became friends with a group of marajuana smokers.  Then, he joined a gym and started taking testosterone boosters too.    After many months of disrespect and illegal fines piling up, my husband and I were forced to kick him out of our home.  Thankfully, my brother agreed to watch out for him and allow Johnny to stay with them for awhile.  

Johnny had planned to enlist in the military, but had to first take care of his legal issues.  When I was pregnant with Johnny, God made me aware that I was carrying one of HIS soldiers.  I didn't know exactly what HIS plans were for my son, but I sensed I needed to pray often and seek God's guidance to parent him to become a leader, someone that could grow to lead others to know God.  I did not think for once that Johnny would actually be a military soldier.  

As it seems...neither did God.   Johnny started working for my nephew and attending church with my brother and his family.  Not only was Johnny being taught tough love, he was finally being influenced by Christ followers.  He is hearing and living God's Word every day!  He enrolled in a community college where he is receiving an academic scholarship, he is making enough money to pay for his car, and has finally paid off all of his legal debts.  

I continue to pray about God's will for all of my children.  I pray that God will continue to guide me and help me to understand my role in HIS plans for my children.  

During the months that Johnny was disrespectful and very lost in his walk with God, I continued to lift him up and ask God to protect him and follow him and give him wisdom and discernment.  I prayed that God would put Godly role models in Johnny's life and to take anyone or anything evil out of his life.  I could do nothing but pray!   I had to put all of my trust in God and believe HIS plan for my child.  

Prayer is working!
Johnny decided to surprise me today at church and has spent the entire day with his family.  He is staying with us tonight, since he does not have class tomorrow.  He is going to his brother's soccer game and spending time with his little sister tomorrow.   He is becoming a great role-model for his younger brothers too.  My 16 year old was in the kitchen listening to a vulgar rap song and Johnny spoke up and told him he really should stop listening to that garbage, and suggested some really cool Christian rap songs instead.  He gave my 13 year old a challenge to memorize a Scripture verse and he accepted that challenge!  He brought his bible and went to visit a friend who does not know God to witness to him this evening!   

He also decided to give up his iphone.  He has been paying for his own data plan and today decided to go back to just a simple cell phone.  He told me that he wanted to spend his time more wisely and not waste it.  

Johnny told me this afternoon that he was very sorry for the way he had acted.  He told me he understands now how detrimental his actions were and that he only wants to live for Jesus!   I can't express the joy I have today!

Today, I am very proud and thanking GOD for saving my Son, and I will continue to cover him with my prayers.   I will never stop praying for my children.  

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kathy! This warms my heart. Our children have no idea how much we love them nor how HARD parenting can be!! I am so glad you & Chris had the courage to do what was right for Johnny even though it was hard. I've had some hard times as a parent too...I think we all do.

    This is an encouraging post, Kathy. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete